Game of Thrones Cast (So Far)

EDIT: Season 2 Cast List HERE.

As you may have noticed I’m a fan of Fantasy and Science Fiction literature. Well HBO is too as they’ve ordered a pilot for Game of Thrones the first book in George R.R. Martin’s epic Fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire. Kings queens bastards zombies imps you name it this series has it.

The author and show producers have been taunting fans with casting clues tormenting us for days on end before a new actor is announced for a role. You have to remember this series is on par with Lord of the Rings in that the characters are larger than life as epic as the story they are beholden to.

I have amassed a running tally of the cast so far. Most all of the major players for the pilot have been filled so I thought it a good time to show you all what to expect (hopefully) come winter of next year. You’ll probably be seeing “Winter Is Coming to HBO” posters next Fall don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Series Regulars (Alphabetical)

Will

Tommen Baratheon Callum Wharry is

Tommen Baratheon

Syrio Forel Miltos Yeromelou is

Syrio Forel

68 Responses to
“Game of Thrones Cast (So Far)”

1. blah September 2, 2009 at 4:14 pm #

Might want to look at your pictures for 11 and 12 again.

2. Cajunman September 2, 2009 at 4:56 pm #

I personally like the photo of Alfie Allen grinning with his dimples better than this one. It suits Theon’s personality better, IMHO.

3. shadallion September 2, 2009 at 4:57 pm #

Great pics. Good lord Joffrey is an ugly little cuss. It will be easy to despise him.

4. invertebrae September 2, 2009 at 5:00 pm #

@Cajunman

That really depends on which Theon we’re talking about here. I like this one.

…ryan

5. scottr September 2, 2009 at 5:28 pm #

Wow! Great selections!. They all look like their characters in some way.
    Even Tamzin looks like Dany, which should ease the minds of those who aren’t satisfied by the choice (I am not one of them).

I’m surprised more sites didn’t use these headshots.

6. About Yea High September 2, 2009 at 7:44 pm #

Very cool. I’m forwarding this site to some friends; best cast grouping thus far. Excellent pictures!

(Is it me or does Jack Gleeson look a little like Geddy Lee’s unclaimed son?)

7. WinterIsComing September 3, 2009 at 12:40 pm #

AYH: Haha! Yeah he does. And Richard Madden looks like a young Guy Pearce.

8. Dawn Mcmanaman September 9, 2009 at 10:18 am #

I think the actors playing Robb and Jon should be switched. And **SPOILER** why does Sean Bean always play characters that are going to die?? **SPOILER** Tim Roth for Little Finger!!! Gary Coleman as Hotpie!

9. sedeslav September 9, 2009 at 12:44 pm #

I found that Goran Visnjic really look like a Khal Drogo. and Jennifer Ehle is very good actress but i will like to see in that role Catrine Zeta Jones…but…who ask me…and i don’t like Nikolaj as Jaime Lannister. He isn’t good looking enough (no ofense Nikolaj…) Born for Jaime is Brad Pitt. Eh…as I said: I love fantasy! :)

10. Priyadarshini September 11, 2009 at 11:51 am #

The Lannister twins look nothing alike. And Nikolaj doesn’t do it for me. Too…rugged. Jaime is kinda more beautiful, in my mind.

11. Valtaya October 4, 2009 at 6:50 pm #

Aren’t the Lannister twins supposed to be blonde? I’m assuming they will have to dye their hair.

12. Kris October 4, 2009 at 11:44 pm #

Probably not a bad idea to be going with an older Dany than is in the novels (at least I hope they don’t intend to try passing a 22-year-old off as thirteen). Merchant does definitely have the right look.

The dude for Sandor Clegane looks awesome for the part.

Dawn, I totally feel you on the Sean Bean/Ned thing.

I can live with the Lannister twins not looking too much alike, but I agree that this Jaime doesn’t look “pretty” enough. Personally I like to picture Jesse Spencer, but that might just be my inner House nerd talking. Cersei should be a good, meaty role for Lena Headey, in any case.

13. nil October 10, 2009 at 7:37 am #

I’m not so happy with Mark Addy, his a great actor but I can’t see him as the king, he’s too jolly and baby faced.
    look at his pic, you jast wanna sqees pinch his cheek.

14. Sherry October 10, 2009 at 9:31 pm #

I know its early, but hope Colm Feore is cast in GoT as maybe Stannis or Davos or Kevan Lannister!

15. darlene October 10, 2009 at 9:47 pm #

I think Angus McFadyen would have made an excellent Robert, but Angus is too big a name, I guess. Dreamcasting is fun, but it does not hit reality alot of times. :D

16. Jbug October 13, 2009 at 12:44 am #

You mixed up your Stark girls. Sansa is the older.

17. Eric October 15, 2009 at 8:18 pm #

I always thought No. 3 should be Cersei Lannister and No. 5 should be Catelyn Tully instead of the other way around. :( I want Sarah Connor as the Wolf Mother! :( And No. 3 is blonde so she should be Cersei….

So why is it the other way around?

18. Tobi October 17, 2009 at 10:40 am #

Great listing… thanks

Peter Dinklage… best choice ever!!! As well as Sean Bean, Lena Headey and Jennifer Ehle. I don’t like Alfie as Theon and Nikolaj as Jaime… but we’ll just have to see how they play the part.
    Cant wait for the pilot to be released!

19. MikeyB October 17, 2009 at 3:10 pm #

I just realized that Mark Addy was the dad from Still Standing. That’s an interesting development.

20. Eric October 19, 2009 at 9:32 pm #

Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo???? Are you serious???? Nooooooooooo…

21. darlene October 20, 2009 at 11:57 am #

Kathryn Morris would have made a terrific, bitchy, and attractive Cersei as well. :)
    Lena Headey will be great, however! She was a wonderful choice. Thumbs up on all the cast!

22. The White Viper October 21, 2009 at 8:16 am #

Don’t worry about whether they have “the look.” Especially stuff like hair colour that’s easily changed. This is Hollywood, people! I have very dark hair; I didn’t think it could be done, but I was once turned into a natural-looking blonde by the magic of stage makeup. (And that was just for a local stage production.) If it’s possible for me, I have no doubt that it’s possible for Lena Headey. Worrying about an actor’s hair colour being wrong is like complaining that the clothes s/he’s wearing in the photo are not genre-appropriate!

As for the age thing, I think they can probably do that too. There are very few physical features that can’t be faked impressively well. (Height is one that can only be fudged to a limited degree.)

What we should be speculating about is how well these actors will play their parts. I’m not familiar with all of them (some, of course, are newcomers, especially quite a few of the children) but I’m thrilled with several of the choices. As for the unknowns (and the unknown-to-mes), I have faith in HBO based on the casting for previous miniseries. They don’t need to get the most famous actors, the Brad Pitts and the Catherine Zeta-Joneses, to put together a brilliant cast.

[warning:spoilers below]
    As long as we’re discussing how the actors look in these photos, though, I think Jennifer Ehle looks way too perky for Catelyn, with that smile! Catelyn’s all melancholy: she’s always grieving over this, that, or the other. If she ever smiles in the entire series, it’s probably fake. (And let’s not forget, Ehle will have to be able to morph into Zombie!Catelyn, if — as I hope — this is successful enough to breed multiple sequels.)

23. Josh October 21, 2009 at 4:42 pm #

I’d always pictured Ian McNeice as the spider Lord Varys. I was excited to see him cast, and I think he’ll do fine as Illyrio, but c’mon! He’s perfect for Varys! Oh well, our minds do tend to get set on things don’t they?

24. jb October 22, 2009 at 10:08 am #

I was able to line up a bunch of these pictures with the right character, so I think these are fine choices.

I will actually pay for HBO if I must, just to see this series.

25. Dawn Mcmanaman October 27, 2009 at 12:15 pm #

Love Mark Addy, but I can’t picture him as Robert. I’m sure he will do a fine job though. Jamie should have been played by Brad Pitt, but something about him makes me think that hes not smart enough to play Jamie. A perfect Jamie would have been a young Carl Elwes, but since he is older and has put on some weight, howabout Cary as Robert?

26. darlene October 28, 2009 at 10:29 pm #

On the ASOIAF board someone compared Littlefinger to the AntiChrist! :D Well, I think Gordon Currie who portrayed the sneaky, evil AntiChrist in the Left Behind movie would make a very convincing Littlefinger! Gordon, although Canadian, can do near perfect accents as well.

27. Pol and Rous November 1, 2009 at 10:36 am #

This is the best page we could find with the character lineup! Congratulations! Keep up the good work!
    If we may suggest something, when the list of people becomes longer it will be a little cumbersome to look up the names from the list. You could link the pictures to the names or just write names next to pictures…

28. Ryan Dunn November 1, 2009 at 11:00 am #

@Pol and Rous

Yes, a good idea. I will break them apart once the pilot is picked up. That way I can more easily keep it updated.

Thanks!

…ryan

29. Brigette November 5, 2009 at 4:25 pm #

My only objection to Sean Bean as Ned is that he will (SPOILER!) be killed off far too soon. He would have made a lovely Hound……

30. darlene November 7, 2009 at 11:10 pm #

Gleeson Brendan Gleesons son? There is a resemblance. Brendan would be a terrific addition to GoT, too. Balon Greyjoy, perhaps? ;)

31. Rudsgi November 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm #

I just wonder…
    Who will get the doubtfull honour of playing Brienne?

*(assuming the series are sucsessfull enough to get enough seasons)

32. darlene November 23, 2009 at 10:18 pm #

Gary Busey as Barristan Selmy! ;)
    But, are Americans off limits? There are lots of American actors who could really do a great job in this series.
    Who is going to play Maester Pycelle? Maximillian Schell would be a good choice, I think.

33. Paul December 2, 2009 at 12:10 am #

I am actually in the middle of GoT right now and having such a good time with it that I thought I would look on line for any movie that may have been made. Glad to see a series coming out. It is quite funny that as I have been reading the book, I have been visualizing the characters and I’ll be damned if I could not get Peter Dinklage out of my head for Tyrion L. Well whadya know…who coulda thunk. Well I guess given dwarven roles in Hollywood (and outside Hollywood), Peter tends to be a one man show. Not so surprising afterall. The cast looks great and I plan to have the book wrapped up this weekend. Thanks for this web page.

34. David December 23, 2009 at 9:00 pm #

The picture of Nikolaj doesn’t do him justice. No still image of him does. But anyone who’s seen him on screen knows he’s perfect for Jaime. He’s sex-on-a-stick. There’s something cat-like and graceful about him, yet also cocky and smokin’ hot. I’m thrilled by his casting.

Same thing for Cersei–I was confused at first by Lena Headley, but put a blond wig on her, and she has that icy arrogance down. She can also play crazy really well, and Cersei is certifiable in my opinion.

I’m also thrilled about Maisie as Arya. PERFECT casting. She’s definitely not a “horseface,” but there’s something wickedly precocious about her, and she’s not classically beautiful. I can totally buy her as Arya.

Also love Alfie Allen as Theon. Alfie was born to smirk, and that’s all Theon is.

FANTASTIC casting. Mark Addy is my one question mark, but considering how well the producers picked everyone else (all the way down to Maester Luwin), I’m going to trust them on this one.

35. Sherry December 25, 2009 at 12:01 am #

Brienne will be hard to cast. In the books she is thought of as ugly, but I have to wonder if part of that perception is simply because Brienne is a masculine tomboy. And during medieval times women were thought of as very unattractive if they liked masculine hobbies, etc.
    I thought of Katie Sackoff, who is very pretty but very tall and well built muscular. Someone like that. Or Katie Holmes, maybe. Even though Katie is pretty, too.
    So, this one will be one of the hardest roles in this series to cast, in my opinion.

36. Bruno December 29, 2009 at 7:19 pm #

Was able to guess most of them, so pretty good casting, although, if I’m not mistaken, aren’t Jaime and Cersei supoosed to be blonde. I guess some hair colour will fix that. Can’t wait for this to come out, love the series.

37. Bas January 2, 2010 at 9:54 am #

Ron Perlman for Barristan Selmy!
    I so hope this gets greenlighted, though with the cast, budget and the general popularity of fantasy series these days I’d be surprised if it didn’t.

38. Janos January 12, 2010 at 10:36 pm #

Have to say, I am waiting in anticipation for a air date.

Admittedly, I cringed when I read that Mark Addy was playing Robert Baratheon as I always pictured Brian Blessed when reading GoT.
    But thinking it over, he might actually pull it off as he seems to be taking more serious rolls these days.

I don’t see any problem with the Lannister twins, they are just as I pictured them.

Just checked IMDb again and see Brian Thompson has been added but doesn’t stated who he’s playing. Maybe Gregor Clegane at the tourney perhaps?

As for Brienne, hmmm…
    Missy Pyle from Dodgeball comes to mind. lol

39. Janos January 12, 2010 at 10:39 pm #

Ohh just had a thought…

What about poor little Rickon?

40. Craig January 16, 2010 at 11:40 pm #

@ Janos

I was actually thinking of her too, but i think shes too old.

Thanks for the headshots. This is going to be great.

41. margaet carolan February 5, 2010 at 8:06 pm #

Hi i played the chicken plucker,kitchen staff loved every second of it,played of lot of extra roles for Scottish T.V but that was the best to date hope it really takes off and i am asked back to do more scenes as an extra.
    Thanks every one involved.
    Margaret.x

42. Low February 12, 2010 at 9:27 pm #

No one else thought the choice for Joffrey is terrible? :S I know the character is horrible and everyone hates him.. but still, he is supposed to be very handsome… and the kid they’ve chosen… *cough* *cough*

43. david February 24, 2010 at 3:21 am #

i think jon and robb should be switched. dany is wrong also.other than that,awesome choices!i have not been this excited by a book adaption since lord of the rings,even more so!

44. stefan from germany March 24, 2010 at 1:52 pm #

catelyn stark is replaced i heard

45. littlefinger March 30, 2010 at 2:08 am #

great cast so far!
    I wonder who will get the part of Littlefinger,
    My personal favorite:-)

46. Schimmy April 30, 2010 at 2:38 am #

Where is Hodor?

47. scottr July 12, 2010 at 9:01 pm #

Any chance this post can be updated? There’s been a lot of new casting since your last edits.

I have this page bookmarked because it has such awesome pictures, and all in one spot.

Cheers!

48. Ryan Dunn July 12, 2010 at 9:16 pm #

@scottr

I’ve been abreast to the casting updates. I am going to rework this page so that it’s not one giant image. It’s a photoshop nightmare!

Look for update soon.

…ryan

49. Shae July 15, 2010 at 1:46 pm #

I failed miserably at noting that Littlefinger had been cast. The guy looks GREAT!
    Really, the whole cast is *perfect* in my opinion. Though, I’m still upset about Jennifer Ehle not being Catelyn anymore. I thought she was perfect for the role.
    Alas, I can’t complain one bit about any of the cast members. In all the book series-made-movies/tv shows I generally am upset about the cast. They never get them right according to my image of them (which is understandable seeing as they’re fictional and real people aren’t!) but I have to say, this cast is so damn perfect it’s better than what my imagination came up with!

Great job on the images! I hadn’t seen a good photo of Richard Madden ’till just now. He looks a lot better than I deduced from the shitty photos I had seen earlier! Joy!

50. scottr July 16, 2010 at 1:06 am #

Nice job Ryan!

Might want to take out Will, he’s being recast: http://winter-is-coming.net/2010/07/will-being-recast-prologue-will-be-reshot/. But also, Varys has been cast.

I also liked the ordering/size by importance, but this is fine too.

Cheers!

51. Lori September 6, 2010 at 2:01 am #

I agree with whoever said Lena Headley would make a better Catelyn Stark than Cersei. But then maybe I’m used to seeing her as Sarah Connor. I always pictured Cersei as more along the lines of Nicole Kidman – though she might be to much of a big name for them to afford.

52. Arcter September 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm #

I had always thought Clea Duvall would make an excellent Brienne. They could just use camera tricks to make her really tall.

53. Shelby September 30, 2010 at 9:40 pm #

God I just want to see the series!! I can’t wait. I still don’t believe its gonna happen. Still feel like it isn’t real. This story is THE BEST EVER WRITTEN. No other series will EVER touch it in my mind. Cast is wonderful… I just wonder… How will the y finish off a series that hasn’t officially been ended itself?? Come on George!! Where’s Dances With Dragons??

54. Dawn McManaman October 12, 2010 at 10:40 am #

Has anyone else noticed that “Dances With Dragons” was supposed to be out in 2007 and it will soon be 20011??? I hope George doesn’t pull a Robert Jordan on us. Take a look at his site Not a Blog, he writes away like a speed demon, but still hes not finished with Dances. Given the history of HBO I doubt that they will carry this series to its conclusion, but I hope they do. So George, stop posting about the Giants and your travels, stop editing anthologies, stop taking pictures of your knight dioramas and finish the series!!

55. Lancel_Lannister October 20, 2010 at 10:20 am #

Eugene Simon seems to me a very handsome boy. I hope thaey dare to show a sex scene with Lena Headley. mmmmmmmmmm

56. Tom Wallace October 20, 2010 at 9:13 pm #

Jason Momoa is
    Khal Drogo

EXCELLENT CASTING!!!!!!!

57. sherry November 17, 2010 at 10:20 pm #

I can think of soooooooooooooooooooo many suitable actors, most of them American or Canadian, who would be terrific in this series. If I were casting, it would probably go bankrupt lol because I’d try to get some more well-knowns, or recently out of work television actors for example. I’m not even going to give examples because that would take up too much time and space. I will say that the actors who played in Legend of the Seeker are all very qualified to play parts in Game of Thrones. Although Tabret Bethel is pretty, she would be a great Brienne, and Bridget Regan could do Asha perfect. Bruce Spence would be a creepy Roose bolton, and Greg Horner could be a Dornish character. Greg Parker could fit in somewhere, too maybe as Mance?

58. Robin Henry December 25, 2010 at 6:47 pm #

Hey to all the complainers out there. Yes, we all picture who should play who, but is it not enough just to be abke ti see the best fantasy ever come to kive action.

And Joe, remember, those who have not read the series are not true members of the club.

Lastly, George R.R., it has been 5 insane years since A feast of Crows, so for all of us, please finish the dam book.

By the way, \i am on my 4th time around The Song of Ice and Fire.

Robin H

59. S. Funk January 25, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

Reading is more than just a hobby for me. I LOVE READING. The Game of Thrones soon became my favorite series after the first book. I am very impressed with Martin in that he had been approached several times bt movie makers and he declined there offers. He held out until someone offered a TV series. Best decision he ever made!!! Thanks George!!!!

As to the cast… My biggest complaint is that Jaimie and Cersei were identical twins. They even switched places at times when they were younger. Im sure it would have been difficult to do but I had hoped the actor and actress they cast would have been a little more identical.

Tyrion was very ugly and misshaped.

I could go on but I wont. I will just hope the series stays to true form and follow the books. I’m sure when we each read the books we all had our own ideas of what each character looked like. When the story hits the screen I’m usually dissappointed because I have become set in what I think a character should look like/act like/talk like. This is the greatest story ever…I hope the big screen does it justice.

Thanks for this site and the hard work you put into it,

S. Funk

60. Ryan Dunn January 25, 2011 at 2:14 pm #

@S. Funk

Technically Jaime and Cersei could not have been identical, as they are different sexes. I know that nitpicking the aesthetics of an actor is tempting, but the problem is that you want the absolute best actor to EMBODY THE CHARACTER for all of these roles. Those often times don’t come both in the same package.

Can’t wait to see this on the small screen!

…ryan

61. S. Funk January 25, 2011 at 3:45 pm #

Ryan,

I realize the scientific impossibility impossed upon the casting dierctor. I was just saying that I wish they looked more alike.

More often than not I have to veiw the movie and the book as two separate stories in order to enjoy both. Regardless I am very excited. It also means I have to convince my wife to purchase HBO just for A Game of Thrones.

Thanks for you comments

S. Funk

62. DLopez March 13, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

I’m excited! I enjoyed the series and introduced them to my son who also became a fan during his first tour in Iraq. The only complaint is that George RR Martin never seems to finish the next book…..after waiting for 3 years for a sequel I stopped reading the series. Now, I’m thrilled to have it represented onscreen. The casting of Peter Dinklage as Tyrion is PERFECT!

If HBO stays close to the books this is sure to be one of the most entertaining series since Rome and True Blood. BOOYAH Showtime–in yo’ face!

Dar

63. Dawn McManaman June 6, 2011 at 11:01 am #

ANyone else think that Lena Headey sucks as Cersei??? Horrible acting, and the same constipated look from show to show.

64. John Vreeland June 8, 2011 at 9:43 pm #

I think Lena Heady is fine. I am assuming that she is playing Cersei as someone who is trying–and not always succeeding–to be subtle at her manipulations. She is also a queen; they are supposed to look constipated, or as if everyone they meet is beneath their dignity to require her taking notice.

65. John Vreeland June 8, 2011 at 9:54 pm #

What about Chella of the Black Ears and Timmet of the Burned men?

66. Victor August 21, 2011 at 8:31 pm #

is it possible that the mother of Jon Snow is Lysa Arryn (Kate Dickie)??

67. Leo December 1, 2011 at 10:19 am #

Topic:Emilia Clarke (only for example, i don’t have any general ressentments against her).
    Is ist really fact, that Producers/Regisseurs favor to enhighth age of primer roles, just to increase the possibility to have (legal) sex with the actors? Otherwise I cannot understand, why the role of a 13 yo aged girl was transcribed into a 16yo one and at last given to a 24 yo actress (that’s nearly twice the age in the books!). Daenerys is described as fresh, young and innocent (and adequate minded for a girl in her age and position) and be forced by her ruthless brother to marry a wished ally. Emilia may be a good actress in some kind, but noone with working eyes and the slightest sense of human habits will buy the innocence (and trying to act like the innocent girl she shoud play comes a bit stupid and surely not convincing) part of this. She shows openly, that she only plays a role – not like an actor in a movie but instead like in an opera, where it doesn’t matter when teen Julia is sung by a 40+ primadonna. She is fairly much too mature for this role. This is not the first time, i recognize such acting – just remember the difference of age in Inkdeath.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Game of Thrones - Page 6 - Ultimate Metal Forum - May 25, 2011

[...] think he meant Bran. This helps, though to be honest I still can't put a name to every character yet. __________________ [...]